ZEA is seeking a plant scientist with commercial/business experience to lead our research and development activities for existing and new crops. The ideal candidate will have at least 2-3 years experience in a commercial, non-academic role and a master’s degree in horticulture or related disciplines. Medicinal plant and herb expertise is highly desired but not required. The successful candidate will lead ZEA’s plant development for commercialization for our partners and customers. S/he will also work closely with operations to create new and improve existing cultivation standards and procedures.
- Bachelors or Masters of Science in Biology, Agronomy or Horticulture with 3+ years’ experience in indoor crop production experience required.
- Experience in hydroponic growing systems strongly preferred.
- Ability to conduct research trials.
- Strong knowledge of plant physiology and controlled environment agriculture required.
- Basic or applied research experience and project management experience preferred,
- Practical knowledge of data analysis, statistics, emerging technology.
- English reading and writing skills required.
- Internet search and Microsoft Office computer experience required.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently with little to no supervision.
- Able to lift 40 pounds and ability to work in farm conditions required.
- Propose, design, perform, monitor and document experiments in plant production and processing.
- Identify, diagnose, and recommend interventions for issues with yields, quality, and disease.
- Obtain actionable insights on day-to-day growing operations.
- Work with operations team to develop growing recipes, set points, and strategies.
- Contribute to the continual improvement of cultivation, handling, and processing systems.
- Participate in research collaborations both inside and outside the company.
- Define standards, frameworks, and tools for how research and development is done.
- Aid with employee training and paperwork as needed.
- Follow Company policies and practices in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, government agencies, etc.